That's exactly the approach we use and that I present from time to time. It does have its difficulties, yet it allows for features that might be hard to do, if at all, in other methods.

I've not used the PHP or PYTHON tools - we just had a module at the COMMON virtual powerup on this - a fellow on Jesse's team presented the open source options - and there ARE lots of options there - and modules like XLSXWriter in Python that let you dig pretty deep, as I understand it.

Cheers
Vern