Justin,
That's what I did, your recommendation, which works very well. Thank you!
I wanted the result set treated more like a distinct temp table without
actually creating one in QTEMP. I am running ad-hoc requests for a
particular transaction, etc. to validate testing, not trying to improve
production performance. The same request is near "instant" using WRKQRY but
it takes me longer to put together the pieces interactively in the UI.