That raises as many questions as it answers.

If it's only happened once in aroudn 3 years I'd be inclined to see if it
happened again and how often before I looked for a detailed solution.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM Steinmetz, Paul via MIDRANGE-L <
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One object, first time we've experienced this error since implementing the
app with the data area, Oct 2017.
The data area is holding a copy of a before image journal entry.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
Evan Harris
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 5:32 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BRMS SWA creates object lock causing application to fail with
CPF1063 followed by RNQ0431

Hi Paul

Is it just the one object consistently, or more than one on an
intermittent basis. How often (and how many) would kind of dictate the
approach in my view.

Best practise is to shut the application down, or at least temporarily
quiesce it, but you've stated that's not possible, so that's out.

How does the contents of the data area affect the application data if it
is saved separately or not saved - does it create a data consistency issue
if you restore without that data area, or with the data area saved at a
different time ? I suppose in a roundabout way I am saying what is in that
data area and how is it used.

Is the data area journaled - would that help at all ?

I've no struck the locking issues you mentioned as my approach is to shut
the application down while the checkpoint is reached. If the applications
cant be shut down then generally I would move to a HA product and save the
replicated data, though that can also have it's own issues in terms of
recovering the application at a consistent point.

I am curious about when you restore the saved library - does the
application run some kind of internal consistency process to get everything
in line ?

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 9:09 AM Steinmetz, Paul via MIDRANGE-L <