Thanks Vern. That would work if we were going to identify and modify every program that uses a message subfile, but we're trying to avoid that.  But we might have to.

Another thing I tried, without success, was copying QCPFMSG file to CPFMSG, removing the messages I don't want, then overriding QCPFMSG to CPFMSG. But I'd forgotten that if it can't find the message in the override file, it looks for them in the original file.  I don't really want to remove them from QSYS/QCPFMSG.