PCIe3 x8 NVMe 1.6 TB SSD NVMe Flash Adapter for IBM i (#EC6V, #EC6U)

The PCIe3 1.6 TB SSD NVMe Adapter (#EC6V) is available for Power S924, S914, and H924 servers, and the PCIe3 LP 1.6 TB SSD NVMe Adapter (#EC6U) is available for the Power E980 server.

The PCIe3 1.6 TB SSD NVMe Adapter:

Features 1.6 TB of low write latency, nonvolatile flash memory on a PCIe Gen3 adapter
Uses NVMe (nonvolatile memory express), which is a high-performance software interface to read or write this flash memory
Adapter can be used in a x8 PCIe Gen3 slot in the system unit
Can provide significantly more read or write IOPS and significantly larger throughput (GB/sec) compared to SAS/SATA SSD
Can be used to satisfy minimum of SSD/DASD and backplane requirements when specified as a load source

At about 8,760 to 17,000 TB of writes to the adapter, it will be at its maximum projected write capability. The nature of the workload has a great impact on the maximum write capacity. If a high percentage of more sequentially oriented writes is used instead of random writes, the maximum write capacity will be closer to the larger value in the range. In the case of a high percentage of random writes, the maximum will be closer to the smaller value in the range. Writes past the adapter's maximum write capacity will continue to work for some period of time, but much more slowly. A Predictive Failure Analysis message will indicate that it is time to replace the adapter if enabled by the system administrator. Customers are recommended to monitor the smart log via their operating system where fuel gauge shows the percentage used.

IBM NVMe adapter failures will be replaced during the standard warranty and maintenance period for adapters that have not reached the maximum number of write cycles. Adapters that reach this limit may fail to operate according to specifications and must be replaced at the client's expense. Data protection is not implemented in the card; protection is provided by OS mirroring.

Features EC6V and EC6U are identical cards except that the tailstock bracket is different. Feature EC6U fits a low-profile PCIe slot, and feature EC6V fits a full-high PCIe slot. For a card with more memory, see features EC6X and EC6W.

Limitations:

The PCIe3 1.6 TB SSD NVMe Adapter is not supported in the PCIe Gen3 I/O drawer. Data protection is not implemented in the card; protection is provided by OS mirroring.
At least one identical first NVMe Adapter pair is required; subsequent NVMe Adapter pairs can be different than the first pair; one NVMe Adapter of different capacity is allowed; NVMe Adapter in pairs is highly recommended.
1.6 TB NVMe Adapter is allowed in maximum of two for a S914 (9009-41A) server with 4-core processor module configuration. Mixing NVMe Adapter for IBM i and SAS drives is not allowed (ten maximum of SAS drives or two maximum of NVMe Adapters for IBM i).

PCIe3 x8 NVMe 3.2 TB SSD NVMe Flash Adapter for IBM i (#EC6X, #EC6W)

The PCIe3 3.2 TB SSD NVMe Adapter (#EC6X) is available for Power S924, S914, and H924 servers, and the PCIe3 LP 3.2 TB SSD NVMe Adapter (#EC6W) is available for the Power E980 server.

The PCIe3 3.2 TB SSD NVMe Adapter:

Features 3.2 TB of low write latency, nonvolatile flash memory on a PCIe Gen3 adapter
Uses NVMe, which is a high-performance software interface to read or write this flash memory
[...]

Features EC6X and EC6W are identical cards except that the tailstock bracket is different. Feature EC6W fits a low-profile PCIe slot, and feature EC6X fits a full-high PCIe slot. For a card with more memory, see features EC6Z and EC6Y.

Limitations:

The PCIe3 3.2 TB SSD NVMe Adapter is not supported in the PCIe Gen3 I/O drawer. Data protection is not implemented in the card; protection is provided by OS mirroring.
At least one identical first NVMe Adapter pair is required; subsequent NVMe Adapter pairs can be different than the first pair; one NVMe Adapter of different capacity is allowed; NVMe Adapter in pairs is highly recommended.
3.2 TB NVMe Adapter is not allowed for a S914 (9009-41A) server with 4-core processor module configuration.

PCIe3 x8 NVMe 6.4 TB SSD NVMe Flash Adapter for IBM i (#EC6Z, #EC6Y)

The PCIe3 6.4 TB SSD NVMe Adapter (#EC6Z) is available for Power S924, S914, and H924 servers, and the PCIe3 LP 6.4 TB SSD NVMe Adapter (#EC6Y) is available for the Power E980 server.

The PCIe3 6.4 TB SSD NVMe Adapter:

Features 6.4 TB of low write latency, nonvolatile flash memory on a PCIe Gen3 adapter
[...]

Features EC6Z and EC6Y are identical cards except that the tailstock bracket is different. Feature EC6Y fits a low-profile PCIe slot, and feature EC6Z fits a full-high PCIe slot.

Limitations:

The PCIe3 LP 6.4 TB SSD NVMe Adapter is not supported in the PCIe Gen3 I/O drawer. Data protection is not implemented in the card; protection is provided by OS mirroring.
At least one identical first NVMe Adapter pair is required; subsequent NVMe Adapter pairs can be different than the first pair; one NVMe Adapter of different capacity is allowed; NVMe Adapter in pairs is highly recommended.
6.4 TB NVMe Adapter is not allowed for a S914 (9009-41A) server with 4-core processor module configuration.

Paul