I do not know the answer to your first question.

The tapes are on a rotation. The tape that is in the drive right now will
be used tonight so it is expired so it can be used tonight.
I could test first thing in the morning before it gets replaced. If I need
active tape. Otherwise I will need to make some phone calls, to get it
swapped out.
The library that I am restoring is currently in the save process. I did a
dsptap and found it.

Let's not approach that last question.
The end goal was to have data encrypted on the tapes.

Kerwin