Yes, this is normal, SQL will use any available index as far as I know.

Tim.

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of DEnglander--- via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 24 June 2020 17:01
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: DEnglander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <DEnglander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Indexes not in a job's library list

I am using a V7R3 system.

I have a library that has a data file in it [DDS] and a SQL index over it
in that same library. That SQL index is also duplicated in another
developer library, so the DDS file has two SQL indexes over it, one in the
developer's library, and one in the library the data file is located in.

I call a program that has a SQL statement in it in a session that does not
have the developer's library name in the library list. When I entered
WRKACTJOB and took option 5 then 14 on that job, the list showed the
program had open the SQL index in the developer library, something I was
surprised to see.

I then deleted the file in the developer's library and called the program
again. The 5-14 then shows the program using the same index, but the one
in the library where the data file is located, which is correct.

Has anyone experienced this, where an SQLRPGLE program uses indexes that
are not in its library list? There is no hardcoding in the program source
to go to the developer's library.

Thank you,

Doug