From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Peter
Dow
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:38 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: BRMS with "alternative" media such as RDX, sticks, etc WAS:
Backup Tape rotation with Corona-virus

Hi Rob,

How do you read a BRMS recovery report if your building is ashes and the IBM
i is melted slag?

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.

On 6/11/2020 8:50 AM, Rob Berendt wrote:
Used to use "sensible" naming. Same tape drive (library in sequential
mode, not random) used by multiple lpars. Had to load them in just the
right order, etc. You really weren't guaranteed that the sensible naming
matched what was really on the tape.

An alternative if you use "random" mode might be to set up your backup
so that it calculated the media needed and specified the volume SAVLIB
LIB(MYLIB) DEV(KDVLVTL) VOL(L01MON1) For lpar 01, Monday, Week 1

Still if a person cannot read BRMS recovery reports, or at least find the
volume names from the BRMS recovery reports, they have no business doing
your restore.

Some people are more confused by the "sensible" names. Was the Monday
save 4am Monday or 11pm Monday? Big difference. Systems down. You cannot
look at WRKJOBSCDE. Person who schedules it is looking through rubble for
their child.
Is this Week 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 when selecting L01MON1? Idk, you're
supposed to check the calendar taped to their cubicle over there in that
pile of ashes which used to be our building.

https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.