I have been following this thread and something I don't often see in these
discussions is what is a responsible place to store tapes.

Even without the current difficulties due to COVID... What types of events
might inhibit your ability to get to your tapes. Here is SW Michigan we are
located about 40 miles or so from a couple of nuclear reactors. If we have
to evacuate because of a misfire, will our tapes require us to enter the
fallout zones to be retrieved? Not likely to happen. We get a few tornados
in this area, how likely is that a twister that takes our data center might
also take out our data storage location (remember 911 where the tapes were
stored in the basement of the towers). One nearby company I used to work
for has a feed and grain located across the street. There is a major rail
line (60+ daily trains) that I see many chemical cars running on. A
derailment and we repeat Oklahoma City. Could the after affects of a riot
or massive fire keep you from your tapes if you need them?

I don't see a bank vault as a viable location for tapes. Declare a disaster
at noon on Saturday with a Monday holiday and suddenly it is Tuesday (3
days) before you can access your tapes.

Regards,

Jim Hawkins
Programmer Analyst