From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Patrik Schindler
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:33 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OS/400 on mambo emulator

Hello,

Am 29.05.2020 um 00:44 schrieb Vlad Korge <vladkorge@xxxxxxxxxx>:

First, it would be a fun to run the system on a personal laptop. It would
provide much more freedom for experimenting etc. So, for me it is just a
technical challenge.

Granted. I don't see that point for myself, though. :-)

Second, I think it could be useful for some shops . I was surprised
finding how many companies are using Hercules nowadays.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. Do they run MVS to stay safe in terms
of licensing?

For many shops, upgrading to a new mainframe version is not an option.
Their 15-20+ y.o. software has a chance to continue its life by running on a
docker packed Hercules. Otherwise, it would be thrown to the rubbish bin.

This is completely and ultimately a cost decision. Some mainframe-driven
shops simply don't want to throw ridiculous amounts of money at IBM and
probably ISVs each month just for software licenses anymore. Moving their
workload to Hercules does not solve the Licensing Problem. Instead, most
often, these shops will act against licensing terms by running their IBM OS
on Hercules.

I will not pick up the topic about the rubbish bin. :-)

So, I think if such the emulator be available for IBM i, it would be on a
huge demand.

Yes, and IBM is most likely well aware about that demand and will fight
against it with all possibilities a horde of well-paid lawyers could
provide. It wasn't the first time IBM got rid of whatever perceived
competition by suing them into bankruptcy or ultimately throw money at the
problem (aka: buy them) and scrap whatever they've invented. Or hide it in
the poison cabinet, just in case the technology could be exploited by
themselves later.

The IBM i world is completely different from the comparably well-documented
Mainframe-World. No matter how standard you think the current POWER boxes
are, IBM knows more about the innards in regard to close relationship of
firmware vs. IBM i than anybody else. Most likely, measures against easy
"copy to some PPC emulator and go" are already in place. I can't prove. I
didn't try. See Yvan's comments about booting (IPL), why.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc

https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.