When pigs fly over the frozen tundras of Hades!

On 5/4/2020 10:01 AM, midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<snip>
Move to the cloud... Moooooove to the Cloud!!

<vendor response>
</snip>

While you're at it cut the number IBM i licenses IBM sells, the POWER
systems it sells, the maintenance contracts it sells by what 50% or more? A
cloud provider does not pay for each individual copy of IBM i they host, nor
do they buy nearly as much hardware. If they did the cost factor would be
very unfavorable and on premise would be a simple sell. Then there are the
maintenance fees IBM does not get since the hardware/SWMA is on one or two
systems, as opposed to 20 or 30. The increased P level on the cloud systems
does not make that up.

How is IBM i or for that matter IBM supposed to survive with only a small
number of customers, cloud vendors, buying the product?

COMMON, PowerUP! Expo is slowly (and maybe not slowly) contracting, mainly
due to the consolidation of OEM vendors. When these vendors only sell to
the cloud vendors what happens then?

The move to off site hosting, "cloud", and SaaS will only exacerbate that
problem for both IBM and COMMON.

What happens to cloud pricing (already starting to go up) when a local
option no longer exists? In our customer set +90% of them see savings for
on cloud vs. on premise for 32 - 36 months. After that, including
maintenance, it's more costly on the cloud, sometimes significantly.

The cost to come off the cloud is the dirty little secret the cloud vendors
tend to hide. What are the off load fees? Check your AWS/HP/Google/cloud
backup contracts. Bet you'll find the offload fess and they aren't' cheap.
How much does your cloud provider charge to off load you from the POWER
equipment, it's not free since they have to back up to physical media and
ship it, then there are the data transfer fees that get wild when lots of
data go over the line.

There are several other arguments to make but that's the gist of it.
Remember Client/Server was going to save the world from the glass house
monolithic systems? We did that, discovered it was more expensive and
harder to maintain, and reversed course. Now we are tacking right back into
the wind with "Cloud" again. (client/server all over again in a slightly
different configuration)

I know your advising a V7R1/P5 customer but the "cloud" is not the correct
answer in most cases. Yes, they need to upgrade and the ciphers are about
to force their hand. I know you disagree, but we can agree, there is room
for disagreement.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects