From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Laurence Chiu
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 4:39 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: BRMS full copy versus Cumulative Copy between two Power systems

Sorry if this question seems a bit simple but in my defence I am not a Power systems expert and my only source of expertise is our outsourcer and I want an independent view also to validate what they tell me.

The situation is the environment I am working is has two Power installations (IBMi of course) and each night a full backup of the database is taken and FTP'ed to a second site and restore. The command to create the back looks like this

https://smex-ctp.trendmicro.com:443/wis/clicktime/v1/query?url=https%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2f2yw6kdz&umid=2f943d10-036c-4d2d-bbf9-ce24e44f9cf4&auth=438b0784514c1757bd202125ca4db8b0abdb021e-3ce3672d66ebc2413d573f15550e80456352009f

I have blanked out sensitive information like filenames but I presume the command still makes sense.

The output files are then sent to the other installation and restored. At the moment the second Power server is only a few hundred metres away and connected over GbE. So no problems. But the second server is now being moved 2600Km away and on a 200Mbs line. That is causing network issues. It seems to me that if the command above is a full copy, then a better solution might be to take a cumulative (differential I am used to saying from my DBA days) and sending that across. That would be significantly smaller. My question is, can this cumulative copy be loaded in the target system when records of the last full copy don't really exist in the target BRMS. Unless once the full copy was loaded in the target system, then a full copy was taken to create that record. But would BRMS be smart enough to know that the subsequent Cumulative was related to the full copy taken remotely.

Thanks