One other point of clarification.

When you apply these rules the general thinking is that they are being applied to external access. So your suggestion here of allowing the subnet y-y-y-y access to port 443 (https) for all the IPs in the group 'WEBDEV' would be found on the access-list for public access. Often of course when dealing with public access to web servers the rule is *ANY4 or *ANY rather than a subnet.

When adding rules to a VPN though those rules don't go on the outside (or in your case 'ingress') access-list. They go in the group-policy for the VPN user. It's NOT the access-list that is assigned to the public (external) interface of the firewall that is in play for VPN users.

Applying the list then looks like this:

group-policy WorkFromHome attributes
vpn-filter value AccessToIBMi

In this case the VPN users would then be assigned to this policy thus:

username workfromhomebob attributes
vpn-group-policy WorkFromHome

The access-list AccessToIBMi then would allow FROM the IP addresses assigned to the VPN client users TO IBM i on the ports listed. Clearly other uses may be allowed depending on what else those users need access to.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com