Hello Rob,

Am 15.04.2020 um 15:45 schrieb Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>:

Currently the following commands require SNA:
SAVRST
SAVRSTCFG
SAVRSTCHG
SAVRSTDLO
SAVRSTLIB
SAVRSTOBJ
I think these are part of the freebie:
5770SS1 22 5050 ObjectConnect

Yes, they are. Also, there is sndmsg, sndnetf and other goodies from the SNADST family. Strpasthr and ICF facilities use APPC also. Depending on configuration, this is true for /QFileSvr.400 subdirectories and DRDA.

Aping is available for diagnostics.

When I think harder, I might come up with more. :-)

While there are TCP/IP ways to do the same thing the advantage to the SNA ones is that they do not require you save to any save file, etc, transmit that over, and then restore from that save file. This saves a LOT of disk space on both systems and some time.

Yes. And load on the storage. And since it's really *very* easy to do a CRTCTLAPPC TYPE(*HPR), it's also very easy to network nonadjacent machines and use the comfy ObjectConnect tools.

That being said, we removed SNA and do not use any of the SAVRST* commands.

Individual decision. :-)

It's also possible to this in-flight transfer with stream files from within qsh or qp2sh:

cd /some-dir; tar -c -f - . |ssh remotemachine "cd /some-dir; tar xf -"

"Go to some-dir, create a tar archive to stdout "-" from current directory ".", feed this to ssh connecting to remotemachine, and run the remote command "cd /some-dir; tar -x -f -" to extract the tar archive fed to stdin, existing only in flight on the wire. Add a -C to ssh, or -z to tar, for having online compression.

All known ways to automate authentication (with ssh keys) apply.

Still, there's no Linux/Unix-like facility allowing to read/write all types of QSYS.LiB objects, so the intermediate step of creating a SAVF can't be left out.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc