Hello Jim,

Am 25.03.2020 um 17:56 schrieb Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

SNA was a far superior network but it lost to simplicity.

Honestly, IP is not very simple, compared to IPX or even better AppleTalk. My opinion from my experiences in the 1990's. Addresses, Netmask? Gateway? DNS? WTF? Today I'm pretty used to it but I can remember my confusion compared to the Mac world, simply plugging everything together and the protocols do the rest. With integrated DNS, so you can actually see what is in the network via the Chooser DA.

With simplicity comes the ability to exploit it.

Not necessarily. Exploitability is most often less a problem of the transport protocol. It more often stems from hastily coded implementations and also from a heap of kludges, like a house of cards. And sometimes from defective crystal balls back when protocols were designed. See Ivan Pepelnjaks Ramblings at https://blog.ipspace.net.

But in general, seeing "IP" as "with all stuff running on top of it" you're probably right.

Just as any 100Mb token ring would crush most Ethernet networks it lost to ease of use and cost.

Honestly, Token Ring lost its superiority after Ethernet Multiport Bridges (aka: Network switches as we know them today) became common. No more one big shared collision domain, but merely point to point links. No collisions, no bandwidth wasted through frequent retransmits.

But if I compare Token Ring to 10 or even 100M Ethernet running on ordinary Hubs or (for 10M) on Coax, I'd clearly go for the ring. (My 150 in here has its main connection in a ring with some printers, some Cisco routers and other stuff.)

Sadly, a while ago Token Ring Support was dropped from the Linux Kernel, because there was no more maintainer to be found. And since internal Kernel structures change every so often, it has been deleted.

That said a properly secured IBM i instance is far better than any windows (even properly secured) system.

I agree. :-)

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc