From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Patrik Schindler <poc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:27:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Need help with an OLD AS/400 3901 150 without access to it

Hello Edoardo,

Am 22.03.2020 um 08:54 schrieb Edoardo Barolo <velteyn@xxxxxxxxx>:

I'm a retrocomputing (as we call it) entusiast and I'm creating a
collection of vintage computers\server (C64 , C128 and also old servers).

I would like to learn RPG into the bare metal so I bought this AS/400 3901
150 from ebay..

Congrats! In fact, it's a 9401-150.

https://try-as400.pocnet.net/wiki/Your_own_AS/400

See the chapter about console there.

At the power cord plugged I noticed a 0000BBBB error on display..Internal
Battery is gone..

Not a big problem. But after IPL, you'll need to check time and date. Battery's not really expensive, though.

https://try-as400.pocnet.net/wiki/SRC_0000BBBB

1) First turn on IPL B N... Result : after an hour of recovery codes (they
for sure turn it off removing the power cord) I obtained a A9002000 -> the
machine needs a terminal I don't own..

Big problem. I strongly recommend a way to get a console. With the 150 you have two options: Twinax Console and Serial Console. For Serial Console you need a "special" cable from IBM, maybe a special pinout. I haven't got one myself, so I don't know the pinout.
With that connection between your PC (running Client Access for Windows), you can configure the system to use an alternate console via the panel. Maybe it's found automatically if connected properly.
For ease of use I strongly recommend some twinax solution. There have been PC cards (ISA for sure, I don't know about PCI) and PCMCIA for laptops with accompanying software. Or look out for a hardware terminal (with all needed cables and keyboard!) but they tend to be expensive. Some people buy these keyboards, rip out the original electronics and insert a new one with an USB port to sell them to IBM fans.
Also possible: Maybe you can ask someone nearby you to lend you a terminal? Maybe your employer has still one left in the basement from earlier times?

But here I made my first noob mistake: I unplugged the cable to attach my
job laptop wich have the terminal emulator.. On the discovered IP I saw
host unreachable (dough!!).

The network went down only from unplugging the cable...Thank you IBM!

That's quite normal: To keep the box from wasting precious CU cycles trying indefinitely. Don't blame IBM for you not having a mandatory part: Console. :-)
This condition will be reset by an IPL.

4)another IPL with a 02 B N on display but the warning lamp is on. Again no
other packet is sent and the host is unreachable...

Hmm, not very easy to deduct the machine's state without a console. Normally, the "vary on at IPL" flag isn't changed, so I guess the machine's not IPLing completely.

3) In the third attempt I put up a mini network with a spare router on the
discovered subnet and again using wireshark on the other pc (this time with
tn5250j installed).

Wait. Did you place your PC and the 150 in separate subnets? Or did you use the router just as a switch/hub?

Sigh sob ! What to do now ? I m here to search for a little help from you.

I'm afraid, I can't help without console.

(Also some manuals wich i cannot find)

Many manuals of the 150 era have vanished from the IBM website but many documents are still valid for older systems as well.

Is there a way to enable console again from panel?

Yes. There are documents from IBM how to do that. But it's useless if you don't have a console device connected at all.

I have plenty of time as COVID-19 locked us all home.

Good way to deal with it. :-)

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc