"MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 03/13/2020
12:03:04 PM:
Any way, I am building dynamic SQL strings and because our database is
so
un-normal we have really long SQL statements we are building. When I
attempt to compile, I am getting SQL strings too long or complex. The
only
solution I have found is

If I do the following

SET String = 'Select VariableA,
VariableB
From FileA';
(Actual string a lot longer).

This will give me an error but if I do the following no error. All the
blanks are compressed out.

'Select Variablea, ' ||
' Variableb,' ||
' From FileA';

Ugly as hell.

In RPG, I can do the following

SET String = 'Select Variablea, +
VariableB +
From FileA';

As soon as RPG see the + it stops processing until it hits the next
non-blank characters.

As far as I can tell, you cannot do something like this in SQL.

Anybody else got a solution to this problem?

Using || is basically your only choice. The only variation is to
use a VARCHAR variable and do the following.

Set VarString = 'Select Variablea, ';
Set VarString = VarString || ' Variableb,';
Set VarString = VarString || ' From FileA';

Sincerely,

Dave Clark