Here's the thing about the data on the drives: 'Ragu, It's in there.'

Now if you took half the disks out (3 of 6) you could NOT rebuild the RAID set that is true but could you get data? Sure. Can I prove that? Yes and easily.

I have an old boat anchor PC with SAS cards and SCSI cards in it that I boot Linux on. I can then use tools to look at the data on the drives sector by sector. 520 vs 512 bytes you say? Who cares, Linux can read those extra big sectors. EBCDIC you say? Sure hit an F-key and there are the characters before my eyes, no security there.

NOW Will I have all your data? Of course not, you took half the drives! BUT there might still be some files that I got all of, and maybe others I got no part of whatever. You can't know.

Would I have usable data? Well...... notsomuch really. Several things are true:
1) I don't know your record formats, but can infer by looking.
2) The data isn't in any way easily organized, it's everywhere.
3) The data is likely incomplete.
4) The data is blasted all over the sectors I can read in blocks at least but mostly 'it's everywhere'.

SO in summary while it would take a lot of work and result in incomplete data, a lot could be gleaned from those drives if you were willing to work at it long and hard enough.

Security by obscurity is no security at all.

So either purchase new drives at the destination or format them a couple times before you send the machine.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com