On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:56 AM Patrik Schindler <poc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To me, it's very clear. If you begin to run out of temporary space (7% free equals 93% used), performance will drop because of more frequent deletion of old cache objects.

I agree with Rob that it's confusing, because the different
descriptions conflict with each other.

One of the descriptions was

The available storage is less than 7% of total storage available

That one does suggest your "93% used" situation, though I personally
take issue with using the word "available" on both sides. In any case,
there is also

Temp storage > 7% of free storage in ASP1 all intervals

I have no idea what "all intervals" means, but this sentence is saying
that whatever the temp storage is, that number is more than 7% of
"free storage".

Note that these two statements cannot logically be saying the same
thing. If we reduce it down to get rid of the distracting (and in my
mind, further confusing) verbiage, we have the statements

1. A < (0.07 * B)
2. C > (0.07 * D)

I don't know if B and D are the same thing. If they are, then A and C
cannot be the same thing, because one is smaller than 7% and the other
is bigger than 7%. Further, if B and D are the same thing, then what
is the relationship between A and C? They technically *could* be
complements (i.e. A + C = B, or equivalently, A + C = D), but then why
isn't statement 2 vastly strengthened to

2a. C > (0.93 * D)

?

And if they're not complements of each other, then how do A and C
relate to each other at all?

If it turns out that B and D are NOT the same thing, then we're
already in the situation where neither of the statements is a
rephrasing of the other.

I don't think I need to spell out all the possible interpretations for
what A, B, C, and D are. There is no way to make statements 1 and 2
assert the same thing. If they are both true, then they are talking
about different things, and it's just a weird coincidence that 7%
figures prominently in both statements. But if they are talking about
different things, then how can one of them "explain it better"?

Color me still confused.

John Y.