Will be interesting to know how you could migrate the volumes created by
IBM's VTL in one data center to another one some several thousand
kilometers away.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020, 9:47 AM Steinmetz, Paul via MIDRANGE-L <
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Laurence Chiu

You may want to check this out.

DSI VTLs are available for purchase in IBM i environments and can replace
IBM ProtecTIER(r).

IBM resells Dynamic Solutions International virtual tape libraries for IBM
i environments

https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?htmlfid=897/ENUS218-064&infotype=AN&subtype=CA

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
Laurence Chiu
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:48 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Compatibility between different vendors VTL solutions

I just found out that in location A which is two sites, ProtecTier is used
as the VTL solution to backup one site and transmit backups to second site.

We are creating a new site but want to be able to transmit backups from
that site as well as restore many years of backups. From my research it
appears today ProtecTier is no longer sold by IBM. If it uses a proprietary
backup format then we will face some challenges getting today data
transferred. If it's standard tape them I guess one way or to dump the
virtual backups to a physical tape (s) and restore from that.