I understand that, but having VLANs and being able to dictate to the
customer how it should be implemented we almost always go the fully
redundant way. When the only traffic on that VLAN belongs to the HMCs and
those HMCs manage the IP addressing, there are less opportunities for a
misconfigured DHCP server, a rogue user setting their own IP or a multitude
of problems that don't even have to be related to security. Of course, some
customers don't have the networking expertise to handle such traffic but in
those cases they don't usually have redundant HMCs.
Also, less audit problems, since the audit tools can't actually reach those
IP to try to tell you that it's vulnerable to this or that...

I've no problem with having the ASMI interface on a general subnet, but I
really like getting everything into their own subnet. Heck, I've separated
my own company's network into too many chunks, but other than the sales
guys crying "my phone app can't reach my notebook" (an app that they aren't
even supposed to use) I haven't had any problems.
Besides, If you really go for hardening and you have a modernized
architecture, nothing stops you from not letting anybody see the i and only
interact with the systems that interact with the i (unless, of course,
those live in the i as well, I'm not versed on the i's equivalent to
iptables, how to restrict open ports on each IP address...)

Roberto