Hello Darryl,

Am 17.01.2020 um 23:27 schrieb a4g atl <a4ginatl2@xxxxxxxxx>:

we will be sending files to the remote system. We do this today with regular FTP. New hardware was implemented and it does not have FTP for security reasons.

I understand. Unfortunately, you're not mentioning which side initiates the connection. I guess your side, but I'd prefer you to confirm my guess.

I will get the crypto key files.The question is which folders do I copy them into?

See Paul's Links. Try them. And if you're having trouble, don't hesitate to ask. But please always provide some background information, error messages, and the like.

If your side initiates the connection, you will have to provide the other side with the public key from your generated keys. Your private key serves as the "password" and the public key on the remote system proves that the "password" is right.

It seems I need a user ID on the IBM i set up with a home folder for this purposes.

Please read my former email carefully for that topic.

I guess that means the job has to be run with this user ID then.
This could be an issue and require "rewriting" the FTP unctions.

Again: If you're authenticating against the remote machine, then "no". You're just changing the transportation protocol and underlying authentication scheme. Again, guesswork: You transfer files to some remote side, right? So you already have some job running on the i, running as some user. There is no change necessary beyond creating the folder structure (/home/<username>/.ssh/) in IFS, with proper ownership and authorization for key authentication for ssh to find it's files.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc