From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of James H. H. Lampert
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 11:36 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HTML5 5250 emulation?

A colleague of mine has been researching this question independently of me, and independently of this List. Here's what we found:

Web5250 (Pete's Workshop, open source):
I just now realized that this was one of the possibilities that Mark Waterbury brought up off-List. We've been experimenting with it, but so far, there have been problems. Part of it seems to be that it's based on a relatively old TN5250j codebase; I've found that unlike IceCap (which seems to be more a screen-scraper than an emulator), it doesn't do a very good job of overriding browser fonts (with the result that screen displays that depend on monospaced fonts can become almost unreadble) or browser function key definitions (especially F3 and F12, with the result that it's relatively easy to get an emulation session stuck in a screen with no way to exit it). Does anybody here have any experience with it?

Greenscreens (open source version):
The GitHub page for that is up front about saying that the developer has abandoned the open source version in favor of a commercial version that they developed from scratch, and my colleague gave up on trying to make the open source version work. All he could find on the commercial version have been pictures of it.

Web5250 (Paulo McNally, open source):
I can't even get to the GitHub page my colleague found for this, and my colleague said he'd given up on it.

IBM i Access for Web:
Does anybody here know anything about this at all?

IceCap:
I've tried the demo of this. It seems to be more of a screen-scraper than an emulator. Very slick, but at least in the demo, if I drag the demo link Niels Liisberg posted to two different browsers, I don't get two terminal sessions, but rather, two separate views of the same terminal session.

Does anybody here have any experience with any of the above? The principal object here is to incorporate a web-based emulator into the web UI of our CRM product, and to allow for scripting the emulation session similarly to what we already do with our Java-based emulator).

--
JHHL