That's talking about commitment control. So, you can make multiple updates to the record under one commitment transactions, and once you commit, only one history table record will be written. That doesn't help with the current situation much unfortunately.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 12:22 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: SQL MERGE and temporal tables overpopulated history table

What defines "a single transaction" in the following context?
<snip>
If a single transaction updates the same row multiple times, only one history row is generated and that row reflects the state of the record before any changes were made by the transaction.
</snip>
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_74/rzahf/rzahftmprlupdate.htm

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108