"Interesting. The wording seems strange. Modern software? That's maybe not a typical clerk. :-)"

It was the branch manager - who was apologizing I thought I'd said that.

And your next comment about "explanations" made no sense to me. In essence the manager thought that what he was using was old fashioned and out of date. The article is about "perception" whether the software did a good job is irrelevant.

He didn't "make up" anything - he stated what he perceived as a fact - that this old green screen app was out-of-date. Frankly I agreed with him.

I'm not going to respond to the rest because frankly I'm not sure ion we are in agreement or not.

In regard to the later points about having the time - I think we need to be more forceful. When the possibility of replacing part of a system comes up we should be asking to bid on the business. It is going to cost $xM to move to another platform? We can do all that and more for half the price and do it faster. There are a number of case histories that demonstrate this.