So this had me laughing out loud. I just cranked up an old 170 to assist a customer migrating S/36 programs, OCL, and data to IBM i. As they only had ancient QIC I needed the old girl to read that tape.

I was SHOCKED at how slow it was and I remember installing that very machine brand new 'some years ago' and thinking how impressively fast it was back then! Just restoring the S/36 source and OCL (about a dozen libraries) took overnight. Including the customer's data the *SAVF I created for them was a gargantuan ginourmous hugemoungous 375MB. Yes MB.

So while I do suspect there are some things you can do to assist a bit in lowering the impact of these inserts, such as lowering the priority in the COSD as others have suggested, I'm glad it's a hobby machine and not running real production!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com