Oh dear - where to start!

First an apology - I never saw your original post and I wonder if others missed it too.

Anyway.

What are you doing wrong? Well it would be much easier to say what is right! Whoever you inherited this from should probably be shot.

Let's look at the effect of the STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*CURRENT) LVLCHK(*NO) SIGNATURE(*GEN) statement.

LVLCHK(*NO) is the problem - it is saying that the system should not check the Service Program's (SPs) signature at all. That is a really bad idea.

To give you a hint as to why your change did not work you need to understand the way in which routines in an SP are identified.

When an SP is created each procedure is assigned to a "slot". Its procedure pointer is then placed in that slot. When a program is told that it is to use an SP it stores the signature and the slot number of the procedure it is to use. At run time the program requests the pointer at slot n and will call that procedure. So far so good.

The problem is that if you ever add a new procedure you can change the slot assignments! Normally when using *GEN for the signature this would not be dangerous because the signature would change and therefore there would be a signature violation at run time. BUT - it has been told NOT to check the signature. So the program can get the wrong pointer and in your case probably did. In your case you were testing and the failure was obvious. But what if during testing calling the wrong procedure appeared to give the correct answer? You could be tricked into placing the code into production - and then the excrement might well hit the fan. Imagine how hard it would be to diagnose why you were getting the wrong answers!

The solution is first of all to STOP using LVLCHK(*NO).

Then you can decide - do you want to use *GEN for the signature - in which case you will need to re-bind all programs that use an SP if you ever add a procedure

OR (the preferred approach)

Use Binder Language to establish a fixed signature and manually control the slot associations by ALWAYS adding new procedures to the end of the list.

There's some basic information on these issues in this article: https://ibmsystemsmag.com/Power-Systems/10/2003/service-programs-signatures <https://ibmsystemsmag.com/Power-Systems/10/2003/service-programs-signatures> from 2003.

This talks to maintaining multiple signatures which is not the approach I would use today but it teaches the mechanics.

My partner Susan wrote this in 2007 and it talks to maintaining hared-coded signatures.https://www.mcpressonline.com/programming/rpg/writing-the-binder-language <https://www.mcpressonline.com/programming/rpg/writing-the-binder-language>

You might also find this one on Binding Directories useful. https://www.itjungle.com/2011/06/08/fhg060811-story01/ <https://www.itjungle.com/2011/06/08/fhg060811-story01/>

Hopefully this will help you understand. But I cannot emphasis strongly enough that the approach currently being used by your shop is dangerous. This is an accident waiting to happen.