Then convert to using a User Space and all is well.

Really simple change. Just add the BASED() keyword to the DS (or field) definition currently being used and add logic to run during initialization to obtain the pointer.

That said - given the criteria you are stating I see no reason not to simply condition your current IN operations to only retrieve the data area on first usage.