We're probably both right, Justin - there isn't anything to install, necessarily, on IBM i, other than to make ports available, mostly. That's the direction I'm coming from.

Now are you thinking - probably right? - that there would be an installation of RDi on the VM? Ah, then I get it.

Regards
Vern

On 10/11/2019 3:33 PM, Justin Taylor wrote:
I think his question is about running RDi without actually doing the install (he's on a locked-down VM desktop), not about licensing. At least that's how I read it.

I think you're correct about licenses. That's assuming a user license (which I think is the more common type), I don't know about floating licenses.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vernon Hamberg [mailto:vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2019 2:49 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Remote RDi methods

I believe you can purchase your own licensed version of RDi and use it to connect to and work on any system for which you have a valid user and password. Jon Paris and partners have their own copies, I believe.

There might be something in the WDS product area that is needed - it has almost no content, as I recall. You would probably have it just to get compilers.

Now I can easily be off the beam here, have always worked where we had traded up from seats of ADTS to seats of RDi.

Cheers
Vern