On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM Peter Dow <petercdow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since then, my current 2 customers have tightened
their security, and I no longer have VPN access.

Maybe a better way of putting it is "admitted their inability to handle
basic security".

With one of them I use Citrix Receiver, which provides a Citrix desktop;
however, all I can do with that is run IBM i Access.

If you can run IBM i ACS then you can do a lot of other things from that
Windows VM because ACS uses the host servers, ergo, the ports are open.

With the other, I use a Remote Desktop Gateway, which gets me access to
a Win7 VM, except that I have no admin authority to install anything on it.

You have fallen prey to Mordac, Preventer of Information Services!
https://comguys.com/do-you-have-a-mordac-in-your-it-department/

What methods does RDi have to accessing an IBM i under these conditions?

I don't really use RDi very much. I mostly use jEdit which can edit stream
files remotely, including EBCDIC ones, via FTP/SFTP.

I do most of my admin programming in Python these days, typically launched
via a CL from the job scheduler.

someone came up with the idea of using a 5250 session to
transfer data.

Same thing on IBM VM on the 3720 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IND$FILE