So what I have working already is to get say 10,000 records from QSYS2.DISPLAY_JOURNAL, then for every record subsequently calling QSYS2.DISPLAY_JOURNAL_ENTRY_INFO, but it is so darn slow. And I already received the 10,000 records and corresponding data anyways, so it will be much more efficient to just parse out the ENTRY_DATA myself and display on a web page in a grid. I just needed the appropriate pointers to where one column ends, and the other begins, which I can now get from QSYS2.SYSCOLUMNS but with some small fixes to the field lengths defined there for a few of the data types (see CASE statement in previous email where I already figured out the adjustments necessary to convert to the actual occupied space in ENTRY_DATA)

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:10 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Question on buffer lengths vs SQL reported lengths

I suspect that if you created a table with 100 date columns, and then created a loop which initialized 1,000,000 rows into that table, you would end up with an object size closer to 4 byte columns than 10 byte columns. Not forgetting the additional overhead stored with a table object like descriptions, etc.

But let's assume your problem is that you are trying to create a function like the undocumented view qsys2.journal_view (which you may want to look at) and you need the 10 byte offset, not the 4 byte offset. I believe that SYSCOLUMNS is built off of QADBIFLD. However that uses the 4 byte definition also.
Good luck, or try the journal_view function.

call qsys2.display_journal_entry_info(2, --not sure what 2 means 'journal_library', 'journal name', Sequence_number, 'receiver library', 'receiver name', 'journal code (aka PT, DL, etc)';

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755