For basics on FTP, research.
I can give you some tips on IBM i but I don't know if they go back as far as the old AS400, heck TCP/IP originally wasn't even offered on them.

When using the ftp command from Windows DOS command prompt there are a few things you should know when sending up a text file.
One, you probably want it to go to a stream file in the IFS and not directly to a table in one of your schemas.
Two, when communicating from the PC to the IBM i, and you want to deal with the stream files instead of schemas, use this ftp command:
quote site namefmt 1
namefmt 1 says IFS, namefmt 0 says to use schemas.
Three, when transferring text data from the PC to the IBM i use the ascii command. When transferring other data use the binary command.
Four, if you get lucky, and do your commands in just the right order, then the FTP server will auto determine the namefmt. This is what allows tools like FileZilla to work so well with IBM i. The trick is to set up a home directory on the IBM i in FileZilla.
Five, if you try the Window dos ftp command, like ftp myibmi, and it doesn't connect, let us know and we'll help you determine whether or not your server is running.

Also, there are a bazillion other ways to transfer text files from your PC to IBM i. Such as:
- mapping a share to a directory on your IBM i. Requires that you create a share on the IBM i first.
- NFS, more setup required but many like it due to reliability