Actually, applications can use either GSKit APIs or the system SSL APIs.

But, GSKit is recommended by IBM. IBM seems to be calling the SSL APIs
"legacy" or not updating them any more. I can see them not wanting to
support two different products.

I've only found one case where GSKit is required and that's when client
communicating with a server using a wildcard certificate as they haven't
added SNI support to the system SSL APIs, but have added that support to
GSKit.

Bradley V. Stone
www.bvstools.com
MAILTOOL Benefit #17 <https://www.bvstools.com/mailtool.html>: Compatible
with Google/Gmail/G Suite, Outlook.com, Microsoft Office 365 as well as
most other SMTP servers and relays. No tricks, gimmicks or relays needed.
MAILTOOL is set up just like a PC or mobile device with the appropriate
outgoing mail router information and well as the proper authentication.