From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Craig Richards
Sent: Dienstag, 6. August 2019 11:21
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DSPFFD utility

Hi Birgitta,

Thanks as always for your reply.

I have used both the ACS schema and SYSCOLUMNS in the past for various reasons.
But I was really thinking about a simple command and succint UI to show the fields, types, text and keys.

SYSCOLUMNS does have most of what I require (except the key information) but it's not particularly convenient to jump into STRSQL and start running Selects over SYSCOLUMNS.
So I'd be back to writing some kind of utility to make it cleaner/simpler I'm more than capable of doing that, but I was just curious to see what most people use these days for retrieving that kind of information.

It's fairly common for me to want to look at a file to remind myself of the spelling of a field, or its type or length.

Mostly I use WRKDBF which is what my client site has, but it does annoy me when it fails on the files with CLOBS and I have to resort to DSPFFD.
A while ago I did try emailing Bill Reger to see if I could fix the overflow problem in WRKBF but I didn't get a reply.

thanks and regards,
Craig