On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 10:53 PM Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The steps before opening a 5250 session are not on 5250. They are on a
web page.

From my perspective, the only thing that opens 5250 sessions is a 5250
emulator (a program that handles 5250 data streams). The virtual terminal
APIs may help with handing 5250 data streams and transforming them into
streams that might be handled in a browser via JavaScript. Most of the
"emulation" process would end-up being a JavaScript applet that statically
resides in a web-page. You'd end up with yet another "screen scraper",
which is a poor choice for a user interface, IMHO.

No one who has looked at the old 250 program wants to disturb
it. Its old, it's big, and it looks like a really good chance to shoot
oneself in the foot. Questions are being asked about alternatives, so
we are looking for alternatives.

You say nobody wants to disturb it. But that's what I'd recommend. Break up
the code into modular components that are simple and easy to understand. I
recommend the following types of components:

1. Database event handlers - implement data validation, RI checks, and I/O
related business rules.
2. Database I/O modules - implement database read, write, update, and
delete procedures.
3. Browser I/O modules - implement browser I/O.
4. Controller - receives client requests and invokes applicable I/O calls.

That way you wont run into the problem of nobody wanting to "disturb" the
code in the future. I will be easy to maintain and extend as needed.