I hunted around but I can't find out how to NOT autostart *MTGC.....

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 2:59 PM Steinmetz, Paul via MIDRANGE-L <
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Update from IBM SME.

I am responding to answer the questions you have regarding Management
Central (MGTC). You asked:
Q1-Why is STRTCPSVR *MGTC still an option at 7.2 and beyond if it's not
supported?
A1-The *MGTC TCP/IP server is still supported, however, majority of people
use it for the functions within the Management Central section of System i
Navigator. It is System i Navigator, which is provided by IBM i Access for
Windows (Client Access) that is out of support as of April 30, 2019. Thus,
we can no longer provide support for any function within System i Navigator
related to MGTC. Do you use the server for anything outside of System i
Navigator? From previous updates, you stated that you do not use it, thus
the recommendation to end the QYPSJSVR job and change it so it does not
autostart when TCP/IP is started.

Also, IBM i Access for Windows is not supported on Windows 10. Since
Windows 7 is or will soon be out of support, you will need to consider
using IBM i Access Client Solutions or a different emulation package.

Q2-Why does STRTCPSVR *MGTC still fire off a job which runs at 7.2 and
beyond if it's not supported?
A2-See A1

Q3-Why does this QYPSJSVR job keep spawning so many QSQSRVR jobs?
A3-ODBC/JDBC functions may also use the QYPSJSVR job, though again, those
functions are provided by IBM i Access for Windows, which is out of support
as of April 30. This doesn't mean that they won't still work, it just
means IBM i Global Support Center will no longer provide support if there
are errors. You'll need to move to use the same functions with IBM i
Access Client Solutions, which does NOT use MGTC or QYPSJSVR job.

Q4-Why does even the 7.4 Knowledge Center refer so often to MGTC?
A4-I don't know, I have not reviewed the 7.4 Knowledge Center but suspect
the items were just migrated from 7.3 and have not been cleaned up. I
don't know if development will clean it up either as some may be using the
QYPSJSVR job outside of System i Navigator.

Q5-Where is the announcement letter or MTU that says that "Management
Central" is now "deprecated" and no longer supported?
A5-There isn't a separate announcement for Management Central. Again,
majority use the MGTC options through System i Navigator, which is what is
out of support. From the IBM i Access for Windows website:
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1026807
*
Effective April 30, 2019, IBM(r) will withdraw support for 5770-XE1 IBM i
Access for Windows(tm) 7.1. IBM i Access for Windows 7.1. was delivered
with IBM i 7.3, 7.2, and 7.1. Extended support will not be available.
Refer to:

https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/8/897/ENUS918-058/index.html
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1022047
Replacement product is IBM i Access Client Solutions (5733-XJ1). Refer
to IBM i Access Client Solutions for more information.
*
Since you do not use MGTC or the QYPSJSVR job, our recommendation is to
end the server and set it not to autostart. Then look into the functions
and abilities provided by IBM i Access Client Solutions (ACS), such as
Navigator for i, or IBM i Access for Web (product 5770XH2).

Paul

I'm open to enlightenment but I thought Management Central was a gatherer
and System i Navigator (part of the deprecated IBM i Client Access for
Windows) was a client to use it.
I do see this:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzahg/rzahg2aaih.htm
However I have a few questions.
1-Why is STRTCPSVR *MGTC still an option at 7.2 and beyond if it's not
supported?
2-Why does STRTCPSVR *MGTC still fire off a job which runs at 7.2 and
beyond if it's not supported?
3-Why does this QYPSJSVR job keep spawning so many QSQSRVR jobs?
4-Why does even the 7.4 Knowledge Center refer so often to MGTC?
5-Are we positive that it doesn't still collect data used by other tools
to analyze?
I'm not sure on many of these.