Steve,

I can see where you're coming from. I also get frustrated--usually when
trying to recreate a customer problem for debug--with how the optimizer
seems to make it difficult to get exactly the behavior that I want.
Sometimes I wish I could make it less smart.

I don't know if this will help, but I'll put it out there for general
education...

SQL is essentially a declarative language, not a procedural language.
You're telling the query engine *what* data you want to see, and it is
responsible for *how* it is accessed. From this perspective, the view
definition actually doesn't state to convert the field (a "how") only when
the length is 10. It states that you want returned a converted value (a
"what ") whenever the length is 10 and 0 in all other cases. And since
you've told the optimizer (via the WHERE clause) that the data you want
only includes fields with length 10, you've effectively just declared that
what you want returned is the converted value, nothing more.

For the final/outer select, SQL does have some quasi-procedural rules
about the order in which clauses are evaluated. In those cases, the WHERE
precedes the SELECT. In fact, I'm guessing you'll find that if you run the
SELECT from the view by itself, it will run successfully. That's because
it is now the outer select, and the query engine must eliminate all rows
with length <> 10 before it evaluates the selected fields. But once it's
back in the view--or encapsulated in a CTE--the optimizer is free to move
things around however it wishes in order to obtain the best performance
while still honoring the *declarative* intent of the statement.

Tim Clark
DB2 for IBM i

"MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 05/17/2019
02:48:13 PM: