Midrange Fans,

I'm finally beginning work on getting our PTFs up to date. We have one host
and three guest i LPARs on a single managed system. All are running 7.2, so
NFS image catalogs are probably the way to go.

I've been exploring our virtual Ethernet setup, which was set up before I
got involved in such things. It looks like each LPAR has one virtual
Ethernet interface. As far as I can tell, they're not being used for
anything. They're not bridged to the outside world. I can ping LPAR to
LPAR using the virtual addresses. There are no host table entries for the
virtual addresses, and all our RDB directory entries point to physical
interface addresses. Their virtual LAN identifiers are set to *NONE.

Since all our LPARs are on a single box, setting the LPARs up to use virtual
Ethernet for LPAR to LPAR communications would probably be a good thing. If
I set that up, can the same virtual Ethernet interfaces be used for that and
NFS image catalogs, or do I need to add additional virtual Ethernet
interfaces? If I need to add additional virtual Ethernet interfaces for NFS
image catalogs, do they need to be on a separate subnet?