From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob
Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 11:48 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Tape libraries on IBM i hosting IBM i.

True you must allocate. On all lpars we use Allocate Unprotected. They
just grab what's available in the pool of drives.

However I find his solution extremely expensive versus spinning up a VIOS
lpar to virtualize the tape library. IBM doesn't give those cards away.
Plus the expense of a port on the SAN switch for each card. And if you're
into the whole redundant thing, oh my! And then you have to concern
yourself with that if you want to spin up another lpar.