The software vendor set up an IBM i printer session on the windows server for every printer. All printing goes through that server now. They then catch the user in the header so they can tie it back to the windows user and their software. With that the rest of it works as if it was a windows print job as it's in the correct windows print queue. User scans and it prints. Thing is they gotta remember where they sent it. :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 5/7/2019 9:43 AM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
How did you get the "almost" part to work?

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
DrFranken
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 8:34 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Send Login information to Sharp Printer

Yes one option is recognizing the SPLF header and the IBM i user.

Where my wife worked they used this function due to lots of financial stuf
on the printer with software running on a Windows server. Users simply
tapped their badge to get their output. The software releases the spooled
files for the windows user associated with that badge on that printer. One
of my customers had this same software extended to recognize the output
coming from IBM i and tie it to the windows user.
It mostly works.

The big difference in Windows and IBM i printing is when the translation
occurs. In Windows, Word or Excel or whatever translates the document to the
language of the printer at the time you press 'print'. So that output goes
to that queue. That's where it must print. That printer device is what it's
formatted to. Because of this even if you have another identical printer you
can't send the output there after the fact.

IBM i on the other hand doesn't do that work until the spooled file is
pulled from the output queue and sent to the device. So printer 1 is busy
and printer 2 is available. So long as it has the right paper in it and can
print the document (e.g. fonts, barcodes, etc) you can move it and print it.

So for the customer the 'mostly works' part is the frustrating part where
when printer 1 is down they now need to go re-print the stuff since it's
already left IBM i and is stuck in a 'dead end' print queue on a windows
server. WHen they printed directly from IBM i they could simply move to
another printer.

So what we had proposed to them was having the badge scan sent up to IBM i
as well as to the windows software through a data queue. A simple exit point
catching that and sending it was all we needed on Windows and just badge
number and location code. Two tables would tell us who that is and what
printer they are at and the software on i would change their reports to that
queue and releases them. However the printer vendor simply couldn't wrap
their heads around how simple this was because they couldn't understand that
printing difference and that we CAN moved spooled output between printers.
And of course they wanted control. So they went the other way and got 'most
of a solution.'

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com