Rob,

A couple months ago I dismissed this function, because the results were difficult to process, but I couldn't remember why. I recreated a consumer of this procedure in RPG and I remember now, but, I may not dismiss it this time. The display_journal_entry_info function returns one row in one result set with multiple columns (1 for each file entry column). Every entry is converted to varchar, so, even the numerics are formatted as character values. That makes sense, because Navigator is only returning a representation of that value, not the real data typed columns. That was why I dismissed it...because I wanted the real data typed columns. Now I'm thinking, however, that I could extract the data type from the SYSCOLUMNS view, and then ask SQL to convert '1235.33' to DECIMAL('1235.33',11,2). I'm not sure what will happen, especially with things like dates and timestamp stuff, but, your suggestion may have me down a road.

My current hope/plan is to create a function that gathers all the results, but then returns the column entries one value at a time either sequentially or by sequence # requests, with the dynamic journal view being written to refer to this function multiple times to get values for each column, and within the view, converting the values to their intended data types from the varchar values.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:44 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: DISPLAY_JOURNAL and ENTRY_DATA parsing using pure SQL

I think what you are looking for is a function, or something besides a stored procedure, which will return the information that the following does. Something you can join directly with DISPLAY_JOURNAL

call qsys2.display_journal_entry_info
(2, --not sure what 2 means
'journal_library',
'journal name',