From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Gerald Magnuson
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 3:42 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: need to move from monthly full save, fix apply, IPL to semi-annually

Paul,
do you back up the clone via IBMi or BRMS methods?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 1:40 PM Musselman, Paul <pmusselman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Gerald--

Our storage is on a V9000, and we can clone (flash copy) our production
partition. We do that daily and run our backups from the clone.

We IPL to:

-- Apply PTFs every 2-3 months, often enough to stay current, but not risk
being 'early adapters.' Our daily backups handle saving the OS.

-- Reorganize files that have too many deleted records. Yes, most files
re-use deleted records, but there are some... the program logic, for
whatever reason, involves mass deletes of records that never seem to get
re-used.

-- Programmer requests that require a 'quiet time.'

So far (knock on wood) we've been able to schedule monthly IPLs, but, like
you, we've skipped some when necessary.
We usually schedule a 7-hour window, but have been returning the system
after 4-5.

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx