I could be wrong but think you have a different problem than most IBMi shops because you're trying to decide where to place your limited product development resources to help your business sell more. That takes surveying your customer base and determining need first before all else. Unless you play by the "if you build it they will come" principal. I left those thoughts behind years ago. Do a focus group, establish need and then find an early adopter. Just some random thoughts on determining product market.

For tech I would imagine if your portfolio is based on IBMi you could choose to stick with CGI or go with any of the language flavors we've listed. It all depends on what will help the business drive sales.

Also if all your dev resources are RPG people then that also drives your development investment because you can't necessarily re-tool your apps or want to necessarily.

Within corporations it's probably similar yet different. They are looking at which applications can service the business better. And they may use your software, but also best of breed stuff that lives in Amazon, Office365, Salesforce, ServiceNow or any of the plethora of things we can integrate with today.

I was at a company today that integrates across no fewer than 10 different product portfolios on various platforms and on-premise and in the cloud. They don't give a rip about platform necessarily. They just want to help Bill or Suzie in accounting get their work done faster so they don't have to double and triple key data or hire new people.

Often buying new apps and services and integrating them seamlessly is more important than new internal development, but that's the reality we have these days. Build, buy, lease, pay monthly. It's all on the table depending on capex and expense budgets.

Anyway we've strayed from the Mono topic a bit, but that's why shops need choices for languages and the good thing is IBMi now has them all.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx