An SQL statement is an SQL command or function with all its parameters (as needed) to carry out the command - SELECT is a function, UPDATE is another, CREATE TABLE is another, etc.

My use of the word command or function might be somewhat off - others can say better, or go to the IBM i manuals - RTFM.

All those parameters are actually presented as claused - SQL means "Strtuctured Query Language", after all - it is a human-like language for manipulating data in tables. In that sense, a statement is like an imperative sentence - and sentences have clauses.

Clauses for a SELECT include the FROM clause, the WHERE clause, the GROUP BY clause, etc. So the maximum length is just that - the number of characters you can have in a statement, including its constituent clauses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're pretty new to SQL - we all were! I recommend going to www.w3schools.com and check out their tutorial on SQL - it will be pretty useful for any version of SQL, including the one on IBM i.

As Rob suggests, there might be limits in the ODBC driver, you'd need to RTFM for the documentation - it's on IBM KnowledgeCenter for IBM i, of course. If you're using a non-IBM ODBC driver, you have to talk to their support folks or find their documentation.

HTH
Vern