There was a recent conversation on the PC list

My input on that:

If you're open to spending a little:

Help and Manual (I've used for several years)
https://www.helpandmanual.com/

HelpNDoc Looks Cool Also (Free Personal Edition with WaterMarks. Inexpensive for standard edition)
https://www.helpndoc.com/

I have also used Confluence. $10 one time payment for self hosted 10 user
https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing?tab=self-managed

I recently started working with Dockuwiki as well for an internal site I'm creating
https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki

Dokuwiki has Bootstrap themes and all the site page files are stored as text files so you can programmatically update your site or edit the markdown files quickly.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 1
date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 16:36:42 +1000
from: Don Brown <DBrown@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Documentation options

Looking for some opinions or comments and suggestions on application documentation.

Previously we had used a product - "Ventura Publisher" and like many good products not enough people used it and they went out of business. I still have a working copy but continuing to use a dead product is not the best option.

So we are looking for suggestions and options to move forward.

All applications have significant help text built in, this is field and screen level help.

The manuals provided the How to.

What do other people use ?

Thank you to any suggestions or comments.

Don Brown

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 02:17:19 -0600
from: Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Documentation options

One option I find useful is user/supervisor ability to edit help panels on the fly, in their dept. vernacular, and in ways meaningful to them,

Looking for some opinions or comments and suggestions on application
documentation.

Previously we had used a product - "Ventura Publisher" and like many
good products not enough people used it and they went out of business.
I still have a working copy but continuing to use a dead product is
not the best option.

So we are looking for suggestions and options to move forward.

All applications have significant help text built in, this is field
and screen level help.

The manuals provided the How to.

What do other people use ?

Thank you to any suggestions or comments.

Don Brown

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 13:03:26 +0000
from: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Infoprint server started sending stuff off to BRMS email job
Q1ACPDST.

I have this one lpar where Infoprint server has started sending emails off to the BRMS email job Q1ACPDST instead of the smtp job QTMSSMTPD.

I have a ticket opened with IBM. We'll spend our usual day or two trying to explain our setup before they start to work on the ticket but here's my latest reply.

Additional comments
We do not store the email address, initially, in the user defined data. Instead we have Infoprint Server set up that if the user defined data is blank to look up the owner of the spool file, cross reference that against a list of email addresses, and then store that in the user defined data. So I cannot capture the spool file attributes until it is in the process of being sent.
The reason I sent in the output of DSPJRN is that this system is starting to do stuff weird. The exact same code and process on other lpars follows this thread:
1 - Interactive user does a CHGSPLFA FILE(MYSPLF) OUTQ(EMLPDF).
2 - EMLPDF Infoprint server writer job adds the user defined data for the email address. And passes it off.
3 - QTMSSMTPD job sends off the email
All show in a normal DSPJRN, like this:
Sequence Code Type Job Time
750805390 T SF ROBHQ1 7:24:55
750805391 T SF EMLPDF 7:24:55
750805427 T JS EMLPDF 7:24:55
750805428 T GS QTMSSMTPD 7:24:55
750805429 T ZC EMLPDF 7:24:55
750805430 T CO QTMSSMTPD 7:24:55
750805431 T CA QTMSSMTPD 7:24:55

However the bad system follows this thread:
Sequence Code Type Job Time
34817383 T SF ROBS1 15:11:35
34817384 T SF EMLPDF 15:11:35
34817410 T SF EMLPDF 15:11:35
34817411 T ZC EMLPDF 15:11:35
34817412 T ZC QUMEPRVAGT 15:11:35
34817413 T ZC Q1ACPDST 15:11:36
Why is it passing the spool file off to the BRMS email job, Q1ACPDST, instead of QTMSSMTPD????

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 13:53:09 +0000
from: Richard Schoen via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Example socket program to send data to a non IBM i device

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I have a thought for you.

You should be able to create a VB.Net or C# app that connects to the device.

Once you test it on the PC in Visual Studio you can move the EXE over to IBMi using the new Mono .Net functionality.

You'll probably more readily find .Net examples than RPG ones.

Food for thought.......

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com
------------------------------

message: 2
date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 17:50:48 -0500
from: a4g atl <a4ginatl2@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Example socket program to send data to a non IBM i device

The problem is

If the device is online,
- I can connect to the device. The socket() is successful.
- If the device is on line but the port is not in listen mode, the program goes into a wait/retry mode at the connect(). This takes 3.5 minutes before returning control to the RPG program.

I tried adding the setsock() functions and trying that, but it would not change the situation.

Darryl.

------------------------------

message: 5
date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 13:54:36 +0000
from: Filip Drzewiecki via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Performance issues after moving more into SQL

Hello,
I observe more and more performance issues with our application and they started to show up after we've introduced a lot of SQL to our system. We've did a lot of optimization but even after that we still have some problems and I'm trying to understand what tools I can use to see if hard drives are out bottleneck or maybe it is CPU.

System setup (from program/database perspective) is quite complicated. We've moved from DDS to SQL tables(most tables) and MQT (materialized query tables, biggest tables ) but programs were not changed and most of them still use native I/O (but we have SQL behind because of RPG Open Access and MQT/Indexes). I understand that we may have some overhead because of this(on CPU) but for example MQT Updates/Insert are quite slow but we use the for Read operation because chain operation with sql behind was very slow without MQT. Of course we use SQL triggers in this setup.

We do not have EasyTier license and from what I've read it could tell us if we could benefit from SSD. I've also found something about SSD Analyzer (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=tss1prs3780) but only for 7.1 and it look like it does not work on 7.3 (I could not see it as collection in iNavigator

We have machine type 8286-41A (power8) with 3 LPARS which has few HDD drives (raid 5) and StorWize 5010 with few HDD Drives. Unfortunately we do not have VIOS and LPAR 1 (master) expose HDD to DEV LPAR and PROD LPAR. This of course should and will be changed but to be honest I have no idea how much performance we may get if we start use VIOS.

Now I'm totally lost which tools/commands could tell me if response time from our HDD is weak point and this is why we have slow read/write times and our CPU does nothing because it waits for HDD(and we should buy few SSD for hot files). We have Performance Tool so I can use collections services/performance monitor and then print one of available reports but there are so many of them. I guess disk report can be used.

Do You have any advices what should I check here?

Filip