Hello,
I observe more and more performance issues with our application and they started to show up after we've introduced a lot of SQL to our system. We've did a lot of optimization but even after that we still have some problems and I'm trying to understand what tools I can use to see if hard drives are out bottleneck or maybe it is CPU.

System setup (from program/database perspective) is quite complicated. We've moved from DDS to SQL tables(most tables) and MQT (materialized query tables, biggest tables ) but programs were not changed and most of them still use native I/O (but we have SQL behind because of RPG Open Access and MQT/Indexes). I understand that we may have some overhead because of this(on CPU) but for example MQT Updates/Insert are quite slow but we use the for Read operation because chain operation with sql behind was very slow without MQT. Of course we use SQL triggers in this setup.

We do not have EasyTier license and from what I've read it could tell us if we could benefit from SSD. I've also found something about SSD Analyzer (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=tss1prs3780) but only for 7.1 and it look like it does not work on 7.3 (I could not see it as collection in iNavigator

We have machine type 8286-41A (power8) with 3 LPARS which has few HDD drives (raid 5) and StorWize 5010 with few HDD Drives. Unfortunately we do not have VIOS and LPAR 1 (master) expose HDD to DEV LPAR and PROD LPAR. This of course should and will be changed but to be honest I have no idea how much performance we may get if we start use VIOS.

Now I'm totally lost which tools/commands could tell me if response time from our HDD is weak point and this is why we have slow read/write times and our CPU does nothing because it waits for HDD(and we should buy few SSD for hot files). We have Performance Tool so I can use collections services/performance monitor and then print one of available reports but there are so many of them. I guess disk report can be used.

Do You have any advices what should I check here?

Filip