Rob,

The term you're thinking of is SQL pass-through...

Given a query
select *
from mytable
where somecolumn = 'VALUE';

Clients have two choices...
1) Pass the entire query to the i
2) Pass just "select * from mytable" and do the filtering on the client

Appears filemarker may be doing #2

Looks like the OP may need to use ExecuteSQL to have the query sent to the
i in it's entirety.
https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/sql-interact-with-odbc-data-sources.html

Charles