Here is some interesting reading
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/nls/rbagslngidsdefaultccsids.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 10:33 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: The complete CCSID Q&A

Many of us have changed the system value QCCSID during the middle of the day with no ill repercussions.
Chuck Pence once published a concern with that but the list's archive searches are just not what they used to be and I cannot find that discussion.

Search this for QCCSID
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en-gb#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/CGI%20frequently%20asked%20questions

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1021732

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/ddp/rbal1apendixqccsid.htm
<snip>
The default CCSID value in a user profile is *SYSVAL. This references the QCCSID system value. You can change the QCCSID system value that is used by all user profiles with the Change System Value (CHGSYSVAL) command. If you do this, you would want to select a CCSID that represents most (if not all) of the users on your system </snip>

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/nls/rbagsccsidgenrecom.htm