Jack, this is wrong. We have specific code in the 5733-SC1 version of
OpenSSH to handle the QSH/QP2TERM case to read the password. You can see
it here:
[1]https://github.com/kadler/openssh-patches/blob/6.9-sc1/any/010_openbsd-compat-readpassphrase.c.patch#L35-L46

In fact we can see that it knows it's in a 5250 and didn't error out on
the password prompt, since it print out "readpassphrase: not a 5250 return
ENOTTY" .

Let's look at the relevant part of the log:

> debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
> debug1: Next authentication method: password
> debug1: read_passphrase: can't open /dev/tty: No such device or
address
> debug2: readpassphrase: turning 5250 echo off
> foo@xxxxxxxxxxx's password: debug2: readpassphrase: turning 5250 echo
previous
> debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> Permission denied, please try again.

So we detected we're in a 5250 and disabled echo, prompted for the
password, sent the password packet, and got a permission denied.

James, to me this would indicate that you either typed the password
incorrectly or tried to connect as the wrong user on the server. Anoterh
possibility is, if the remote system is an IBM i system *and* the user id
is > 8 characters long you won't be able to log in (via any authentication
method) unless you set PASE_USRGRP_LIMITED=N and restart the ssh server:
[2]http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1011847

There is an eight-character limitation on the user profiles that can
access the IBM i through SSHD. The eight-character limitation is also
placed on any group profile that the user might be a member of. If any
of the other members in a group profile have more than eight characters
in their user name, access to the system will be denied. In order to get
around the eight-character limitation, you can either create system wide
environment variable:

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(PASE_USRGRP_LIMITED) VALUE('N') LEVEL(*SYS)

PS. Jack, the problem for scp/sftp is that they fork an ssh job under the
covers and it's STDIN/STDOUT are connected through a pipe, not the
terminal, so it has no way to ask yes/no or the password when run without
a TTY enabled.