In the IT Jungle article, Alex Woodie writes "It’s not a native port, but
it’s better than nothing."

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM Richard Schoen via MIDRANGE-L <
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks to the nice work done by the guys who ported the Mono framework to
IBM i, you can now start using Visual Studio and Visual Studio Community to
create and compile apps that run natively on IBM i in PASE, Windows, Mac
and Linux.

Check out this recent article:
https://www.itjungle.com/2018/10/31/mono-port-to-ibm-i-now-available/

You can use your compiled CS and VB objects (EXE/DLL) without change by
running via the mono command. Supports .Net 2.0 - 4.7.1 and also .Net
Standard which is what my open source XMLSERVICE data service wrapper is
written in.

Download and install MonoOni from here:
https://github.com/MonoOni/binarydist

I have tested my XMLSERVICE wrapper which ran with a sample console app by
creating and compiling in Visual Studio and simply copying the compiled app
into the IFS and running. It just worked.

They still don't have all the database stuff working, bit with XMLSERVICE
you can start building .Net apps and services that serve IBM i data,
commands, program calls and data queues right now without waiting.

I will also be releasing an open source MONO CL command wrapper soon that
can call and consume .Net programs using RPG, CL, COBOL or anything that
can compose and call a CL command.

There are so any things available in .Net for writing utilities that make
this big news for those of you interested in bringing VB and C# application
code directly to IBM i.

Enjoy and sent me a note directly if you want early access to the MONO CL
command wrapper before it gets posted on Github.

[HelpSystems]<https://www.helpsystems.com/>

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management Technology

e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802 | m. 952.486.6802